The Short Answer: You probably have a version of WordPerfect which doesn’t include the QuickFinder. Those versions are: OEM, Home, Family Pack, Productivity Pack or any WordPerfect product that came free with your computer.
1. Use the “Search” feature in Microsoft Windows Explorer. It is not nearly as robust as the QuickFinder, but it’s a fairly good second choice.
2. Purchase or download free search software. Check out some cnet reviews:
Note: these are desktop search programs and may not work to search for files on a network.
Details, Details, Details: If your Open dialog box doesn’t display a “Find Now” or “Advanced Find” command button, the QuickFinder search utilitity either isn’t installed or turned on. Because the default setting for QuickFinder is “On” it probably isn’t installed.
On the slight chance the feature is turned off, you can enable QuickFinder by following these steps:
1. Launch WordPerfect
2. Click Tools, Settings, File
3. On the Document Tab, enable the option: “Use enhanced file dialogs”
4. Click OK
5. Click Close Now when you go to File, Open you should see: Find Now, Advanced, New Search.
If you still don’t see these command buttons, the QuickFinder is not installed. At this point, there are two possibilities:
1. You own a version of WordPerfect which comes with the QuickFinder search utility and can install it. Again, because the default settings for installation include the QuickFinder installation, this is probably not the case. However, if you own the Standard, Professional or Small Business version, you can install the QuickFinder and can find the direction for each release of WordPerfect in the knowledgebase on http://www.corel.com. The links sometimes change, so I hesitate to provide it here. Go to http://www.corel.com and click “Support” from the navigation bar along the top. Select the option to search the knowledgebase. Under “Products and Services” select “WordPerfect Office” and then, in the submenu, select your release of WordPerfect. I selected “WordPerfect X3” to get the latest information. In the “Search Text” box, I typed “OEM QuickFinder” because I suspected the OEM version was the reason my QuickFinder didn’t appear. I was right.
2. The second, and most probable possibility is that you do NOT own a version of WordPerfect which comes with the QuickFinder. As I’ve already mentioned, the QuickFinder search utility is NOT available in the OEM, Family Pack, WordPerfect Home Edition and Productivity Pack versions of WordPerfect®. This also includes any version of WordPerfect which were bundled with other software, or came with your computer.